Author -

What Is Potassium Permanganate Used For?

From medicine to chemical manufacturing, potassium permanganate has various uses and applications. Its antiseptic properties make it an essential medicine that’s often used to treat wounds and skin conditions, such as dermatitis.  Alongside its medicinal applications, potassium permanganate is used to treat water and preserve food. Chemical manufacturing companies and laboratories also use it as an oxidising agent. With such a...

What Are The Common Uses Of Acetic Acid?

Acetic acid is an organic acid with a wide range of culinary, medicinal, and industrial applications. For thousands of years, humans have used acetic acid in the form of vinegar. Around 10% of acetic acid is produced through the natural fermentation of sugar or ethanol, with the remaining 90% made using synthetic processes. An estimated 75% of acetic acid produced for...

What Is Acetic Acid?

Acetic acid is an organic acid and a byproduct of sugar fermentation. It’s also known by other names, including ethanoic acid, ethylic acid, and methane carboxylic acid. Acetic acid is primarily produced by a group of Gram-negative bacteria called acetic acid bacteria (AAB). They produce acetic acid as metabolic waste from fermenting sugar or ethanol. Our bodies also make small...

A Level Chemistry Revision: Organic Chemistry – Chromatography

If you’re revising for your upcoming A level organic chemistry exam, you’ll need to have a good grasp of chromatography. Keep reading to learn what it is, how it works, and the different chromatography techniques. What is chromatography? As a scientific laboratory technique, chromatography is the separation of the components of a mixture, which usually have different colours. Originally developed by German...