Methylene Chloride (General Use)
Need Something Else?
Looking for Methylene Chloride for General Use?
- ReAgent supply methylene chloride for general use in 2.5L and 25L containers, as well as 200L drums
- This is our most popular methylene chlorine product, but we also offer methylene chloride for laboratory use and a 4:1 mixture with acetic acid
- Contact us for further information or free technical advice
Is Methylene Chloride Toxic?
This compound is considered the least toxic of the simple chlorohydrocarbons, but safety procedures must still be followed when handling. Its high volatility is perhaps the most dangerous aspect, making it an acute inhalation hazard if used in confined spaces without the appropriate breathing apparatus. In this situation, it can also be absorbed through the skin after prolonged exposures.
Several laboratory studies have shown that methylene chloride increases the risk of cancer in animals, including liver, lung and pancreas cancer, but human studies are not so conclusive and researchers have so far been unable to determine what level it may become carcinogenic.
All products containing methylene chloride must be clearly labelled, and since 2010, its use is restricted to professionals only. After a few fatal accidents, the EU decided only trained staff in industrial applications would be allowed to use this chemical.
Symptoms of Exposure to Methylene Chloride
Symptoms of exposure include:
- Dizziness and difficulty concentrating
- Headaches and Fatigue
- Irritation of the respiratory tract, which may lead to suffocation
- Irritation of the eyes
- Loss of consciousness
- Coma and death if not treated promptly
- Skin irritation and chemical burns after prolonged skin contact
- Potentially it may cause carbon monoxide poisoning (methylene chloride is metabolised to CO in the body)
- May cause cardiovascular problems in people with pre-existing conditions
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. In addition to methylene chloride, we offer a wide range of products, from test kits and pharmaceutical chemicals to speciality products and bespoke solutions.
|Free Chlorine (detection limit 1ppm)||Pass/Fail|
|Appearance; clear solution, free from impurities.||Pass/Fail|
|Acidity (as HCl)||<5.0||ppm|
|Non Volatile Residue||<10||ppm|
|Stabilizer, Amylene||40 - 60||ppm|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1203||H315||Causes skin irritation.|
|1203||H319||Causes serious eye irritation.|
|1203||H336||May cause drowsiness or dizziness.|
|1203||H351||Suspected of causing cancer.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1203||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1203||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1203||P202||Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood.|
|1203||P261||Avoid breathing vapour/ spray.|
|1203||P271||Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.|
|1203||P312||Call a POISON CENTER/ doctor if you feel unwell.|
|1.203||ADR/RID Shipping Name||DICHLOROMETHANE|
|1.203||ADR/RID Shipping Class||6.1|
|1.203||ADR/RID Packing Group||III|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|