Phenolphthalein 0.05% w/v
Need Something Else?
Looking for Phenolphthalein 0.05% w/v?
We supply phenolphthalein 0.05% w/v in 2.5L containers, with discounts available on bulk orders over 4 items. Full MSDS is available to download from our website. We also offer many other options with all our products, from personalised labelling to bespoke chemicals.
Phenolphthalein As A pH Indicator: How Does it Work?
Phenolphthalein’s most popular use is as a pH indicator. It can be used by itself, or be an ingredient in universal indicators, alongside thymol blue or methyl red. These mixtures cover a wider range of pH changes.
From a chemical point of view, phenolphthalein works as a pH indicator due to 4 different states in solutions, with different colourations:
- In strongly acidic conditions (pH<1): orange colour
- In mildly acidic and near neutral conditions (0<pH<8.2): colourless
- In alkaline conditions (8.2<pH<12): pink
- In strongly alkaline conditions (pH>13): colourless
Niche Applications of Phenolphthalein
This compound has found its way into several colour-changing curious applications:
- When Barbie changes hair colour: Phenolphthalein is commonly used in toys, such as Barbie dolls and others, which involve a colour change. In this case, phenolphthalein is typically mixed with sodium hydroxide, which then can react with carbon dioxide in the air. This reaction results in a pH drop and Barbie can change her hair colour!
- Hard as concrete: This compound is also used to assess the quality of concrete. Under normal circumstances, concrete has a naturally high pH – around 8.5 – due to reaction with water. In this case, when a phenolphthalein solution is used, concrete turns bright pink. However, if this colour does not appear, it may be a sign of carbonation and deterioration.
100% Quality Guarantee
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. In addition to phenolphthalein, we also offer a wide range of other products, from pharmaceutical chemicals to specialist test kits. In addition, we also offer bespoke products to cover your needs. Simply contact us for further information.
|pH range||8.3 - 10 Colourless to Red|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1319||H319||Causes serious eye irritation.|
|1319||H341||Suspected of causing genetic defects.|
|1319||H350||May cause cancer.|
|1319||H371||May cause damage to organs .|
|1319||H225||Highly flammable liquid and vapour.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1319||P260||Do not breathe vapour/ spray.|
|1319||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1319||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1319||P210||Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.|
|1319||P270||Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product.|
|1319||P201||Obtain special instructions before use.|
|1.319||Supplemental Information||RCH002b For professional users only.|
|1.319||ADR/RID Shipping Name||ETHANOL SOLUTION (ETHYL ALCOHOL SOLUTION)|
|1.319||ADR/RID Shipping Class||3|
|1.319||ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|4236||Phenolphthalein 0.05% w/v||publish||1319||https://www.chemicals.ie/uploads/documents/44 - 1319 - SDS10106.pdf|