Sodium Hypochlorite (Laboratory Use)
Need Something Else?
Looking for Sodium Hypochlorite for Laboratory Use?
- We supply sodium hypochlorite for laboratory use in 5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- We can also supply sodium hypochlorite for general use
- All our products come with further options, including customised labelling and specific pack sizes
About Sodium Hypochlorite: Chemical and Physical Properties
With the formula NaClO, this chemical is classed as a sodium salt of hypochlorous acid. In solution, it’s well-known as bleach.
- Alternative names: antiformin, clorox
- Molecular formula: NaClO
- Molecular weight: 74.4 g/mol
- Appearance: clear to slightly yellow solution
- Odour: unpleasant strong odour, similar to chlorine odour
- Solubility: soluble in water
- Relative density: similar to water as 1.1-1.2
- Stability: unstable in air unless mixed with sodium hydroxide. High pH can be protective, but in pH 5-6 decomposition is very fast. Also maintaining solution in a cool dark place improves storage and increase stability
- Decomposition: anhydrous forms can explode violently if heated and release toxic chlorine gas
- Antibacterial activity: effective against bacteria, viruses and some spores and fungi
Is Sodium Hypochlorite Safe?
This compound can be extremely dangerous if not used safely. Contact with skin or eyes may cause serious burns and blisters, and ingestion can be fatal if not treated promptly. It’s important to note that symptoms, such as cough, sore throat or abdominal pain, may be delayed so it’s essential to seek medical advice after exposure even in the absence of symptoms.
It’s not combustible but may release toxic fumes if involved in a fire. In addition, it decomposes if heated or on contact with acids. As a strong oxidant, it can react with combustible and reducing compounds, so it should be stored away from any incompatible chemicals and away from sources of ignition.
Open an Account With Us
If you’re a regular customer, you may wish to open an account with us. If you would like to do so, simply contact us and a member of our sales team would be glad to you through the process. All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after your purchase.
|Available Chlorine||Minimum 10||%|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1323||H314||Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.|
|1323||H412||Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects.|
|1323||H400||Very toxic to aquatic life.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1323||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1323||P303+P361+P353||IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/ shower.|
|1323||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1323||P310||Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor.|
|1323||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|1323||P273||Avoid release to the environment.|
|1323||P301+P330+P331||IF SWALLOWED: Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting.|
|1323||P304+P340||IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing.|
|1.323||ADR/RID Shipping Name||SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE SOLUTION|
|1.323||ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|1.323||ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|